At work I do a lot of work with Oracle databases. Which also means I end up doing a lot of editing of files with funny endings like *.psc, *.prog, *.proc. Mostly file type endings that are meaningless and made up. So in order to get my install of gVim working properly with these goofy tags I had to force it to associate them with the plsql filetype built into vim.
Well, I originally had all of this inside of .vimrc file (or _vimrc under Windows XP). But I noticed that it wasn’t working the other day (something I honestly paid little attention to before because 99% of edits were so simple and quick). Well, after looking around forever on the internet trying to figure out why it wouldn’t work in my vimrc (which I never figured out by the way) I went back to the vim documentation and resorted to creating a third vim configuration file.
As a side note here, it is getting to the point that vim has taken so much of my time to configure and learn that if I had to do it all over again, there is a good chance I’d picked another editor to master. I started this blog in 2005 a month or two after starting with Linux. To this day I still find myself feeling lost everytime I use Vim as more than a notepad replacement. Its just that complicated. Thats scary.
Back to the point of this post though. For some reason (which I’ll never find out probably) I ended up having to create a file called filetype.vim and sticking it in $VIM/vimfiles. I have posted the file with the rest of my vim config files so anyone interested can see what I did. Like all of my other files (which have been updated as well) it is nicely commented.
And one more thing before I forget. When in command mode in vim try some of these commands. They have become invaluable for me.
: echo $HOME
: echo $VIM
Those will output where each of those directories are. Which is not always so obvious. Especially when your switching OSes on a regular basis like myself (XP -> Linux -> Vista > OS X -> Solaris).
Enjoy the Penguins!