Setting-up Oracle (at least under Windows) is the most horrible feature I’ve ever seen in my life. Why is it so bad? How can a company that can afford to buy Sun make such crappy software?
Okay. I realize that Oracle’s databases are some of, if not, the best in the world. But it absurd what you have to go through to install the client and everything else you need just to work with one. At work, like a lot of companies, we use Oracle, of course, but not only do we use it, we use like 4 different versions of it. So that means I have to have, at least for now, two different versions of Oracle client installed on my work PC.
For all of you who have never had to do this, each version of the client, assuming you do a complete install is roughly 900MB a pop. Each install requires a different “home” directory and each creates it’s own set of registry keys (we use Windows XP of course). So far so good I guess, except for the size, except that the installers never work. For example, if you need version 7 along with a later version, you have to install version 7 first or it ruin your other clients.
So today, after realizing I had magically gained somewhere upward of 5 different homes and only two functioning clients (9.0.4 and 10.0.1) I decided to blow it all away and start fresh. It seemed like perfect timing as well since we’re upgrading our main DB to 10g which meant my default client, 9.0.4, wouldn’t work anymore.
So after doing all of that, which ended up being very painful because Oracle really buries itself in your registry, I installed both clients. Naturally, after installing my new 10g client along with 9.04 (I still need it for other databases) I naturally encountered errors. Logging in through various means I encountered the following two errors: ORA – 12222 and ORA – 12538. So after about an hour going through Google trying to find the answer I finally figured it out buried deep in a forum post the guy with the problem totally ignored.
The first install apparently setup two ORACLE_HOME environment variables, one for the User and one for the System. After deleting both, both errors went away.
All of that and Toad for Oracle, latest version, still crashes on me on a regular basis.
Enjoy the Penguins!